The Door has an athletic program known as Sports Matters. It has been running since 1990 and has had the same director, John Boston, for the majority of that span. This consistency is a major part of the program’s success.
Sports Mattersuses athletics as a means of improving the lives of children by teaching them life-skills and developing their athletic talent. This enables them to stand out among their competition and often leads to their acceptance to high schools and colleges of their choice.
The Door’s Wildcats Football Program
The Door Wildcats Football Program is the longest tenured sport in Sports Matters. As director, John Boston is dedicated and takes a strong personal interest in the continued success of the program, which is very popular in the community.
The Wildcats Football program serves participants ages 5 through 14. The coaches are volunteers who, in addition to teaching football skills, mentor the youth so that they can recognize the importance of a healthy lifestyle through fitness, mental preparation and positive attitudes.
The program has 4 Pop Warner® football teams: 5 – 7 years old Flag Football, 7 – 9 years of age tackle football, 9 – 11 years of age tackle football, and 11- 14 years of age tackle football. The Wildcats are a registered Pop Warner® team through the Maryland Football Association.
The Wildcats Football Program is also part of the Pop Warner® Little Scholars program holding participants academically accountable by maintaining at least a “C” average to compete, while rewarding higher academic honors to more accomplished achievers.
- The past season saw the Wildcats four co-ed teams field over 100 players
- Each team plays a minimum of eight games and has the potential to play several more through post-season play
- Teams have a minimum of three coaches, dedicated to serving the community with their time
- Seasons run from late August until November
- We sponsor Saturday skills and training clinics
- The Wildcats Football Program seeks partners to co-host orientation and sign-up, refer players, and assist with program activities. If interested, please contact Wade Sanders, team administrator, at 410-675-3288 ext. 27 or at email@example.com